Saturday, August 1, 2020

Retaliation on Delvorth

Sautekh necrons advanced through the wastes of Delvorth, a small strike team of Valorous Hearts were sent out to the coordinators of the first attack, just south a small agriculture development. Though the sister fought hard, they suffered sever casualties.

The Stoic Patrons volunteered to halt the advance of the mechanical menace, Cannoness Praxima wanted to prove the Emperor's Light reaches far, even on a planet that has seen it's share if Xenos threats. After decades of slim to no support from the Imperium due to Warp Storms, not to mention the planets irrational temper the civilians on Delvorth are thankful to see Sisters of Battle taking up residents there along with the Adeptus Mechanicus which only arrived recently after the discovery of blackstone on the planet. 

On Monday I played my first crusade (and 9th edition) game with Wade from the Regina Warhammer page at his place. Wade graciously hosted us for the day. On Sunday he played against another player that was also playing Sisters of the Valorous Heart, so I worked that into the narrative. I have yet to pick up the 9th edition rules, as I was waiting for the smaller starter sets like the previous edition (which they announced later that day)

Wade and I had 25PR each, he did play the day before, having 3 Crusade Points. I spent 1 Requisition Point (as each battle you gain one RP, so you might as well spend one) to give Canoness Praxima the Artifact, Beacon of Faith, generating 1 extra miracle dice on my turn. Wade played Necrons of the Sautekh Dynasty, giving him the option to use his Rapid Fire weapons as Assault weapons.

I chose to roll for my Sacred Rites letting me use to instead of one, I got Divine Guidance (6's on ranged wound rolls get -1 AP) and Light of the Emperor (re-roll Morale test).

Wade rolled for the mission, getting a one, Sweep and Clear and took first turn. Wade's Agenda was to take out my Warlord, and I chose to keep my Seraphim alive.

Sisters deployment first turn.
 The Overlord and his Immortals take cover in the ruins, another squad march to the intact bunker laying down heavy gauss fire into Sister Alwyn's squad. 


Necron secure their objective, no scoring on first turn though.
Cryptec's bronze cape ripples in the wind as it soars over to the slow advancing Necron Warriors, gauss blasts perforate the Repentia squad eager to die for their sins. 





Eeeps! I am definitely not used to playing an army with paper for armour. At least, repentia, Arco-Flagellants, and the Penitent Engines have a 5 plus ignore wounds like the Death Guard and the rest had 6 plus for their Order Conviction. I believe on my turn, I might've hit one Immortal, but was saved, so the Necrons continued their advance.

Ceaselessly, the untiring Necrons cut into the middle, hot gauss melting piping, metal planks. One shot connecting with a Battle Sister.



The new rules for coherency forced me to remove this model, as every other model wasn't within an inch of two other models.

 Descending into the enemy territory from the sky came the Seraphim Squad, commanded by Sister Mylanthra, with a mighty cry, they let lose a volley of metlagun fire.

I used a Command Point to use Deadly Descent on the Seraphim squad, giving them an extra 6" to their pistols and to shoot as they come down as well as in the normal shooting phase.


Sister Mylanthra and her squad were able to rip into the Immortal behind the bunker with their gunfire, Mylanethra herself tried to shoot at the Overlord, but her shots didn't find purchase.

I believe this was after both of the Seraphim's shooting 
I decided to try to charge the Overlord (as it didn't have a ranged weapon), maybe get some damage on him before getting wrecked by him, which might've been a crazy idea as the scythe is pretty nasty with 10 strength. Luckily, the dice were on my side?


Seraphim holding ground, maybe they can claim the objective next round. 


 The Overlord let out an screech, a mix between static and grinding metal, all at once, the Immortals turned and trudged back to protect their heartless master. Cryptec floated on invisible wings, landing gently beside the Overlord, ready to take commands.



Right..... the Agenda.... well, I mean, maybe she will survive with less then half squad strength?

Arco-Flagellants advance towards the objective in a drug infused frenzy

Overlord wipes out the Seraphim Squad, first kill of the game.
Canoness Praxima screams over the cacophony of gunfire. "Sisters of the Valorous Heart, we fight bathed in the Emperor's light, our cause is true. Secure the Blackstone! Let your battle cry be heard on Holy Terra!" Alwyn's voices rang throughout the battlefield, taking her squad closer to the enemy with a hail of bolter fire.



 If Necron Warriors showed fear or leaked oil, they would do so when a Penitent Engine came stomping round the corner.  

Former Father Henry, only a rotting husk now, after several drug induced battles in the service of the Imperium, now lumbered about the battlefield half conscious of his actions. Jets of flames expelled from the Heavy Flamers, melting the living metal. With no hint of halting, the Necrons would meet the Penitent Engine in combat, half melted, crawling onto it's legs, to tear out the human controller. Henry's hulking form instinctively moved, it's saw blades cutting up the remains of the Warriors.


The lone Repentia taking out one Warrior on her own.


 The Cryptec moves to rebuild the Necron Warriors, buffing their Reanimation Protocol to 4+ instead of 5+, a couple return to continue fighting. At this point, the Penitent Engine was getting fairly beaten up.

The Penitent Engine was charged by the Immortals
 I was lucky to have a Command Point for the Over watch as I was using them all the time, also at this point was when my Miracle dice were piling up. I discovered that there was a Stratagem to use up to 3 miracle dice to add one to a hit roll, wound roll, or an armour save roll, but that also was 2 CP to play, which was rare for me to have besides at the beginning of the game.

Necron and Sisters exchange fire through the bunker.
 Fueled by an unquenchable thirst for violence, Father Henry barreled through the ruins, smashing into the Cryptek on the opposite side, debris scattering into the air. The Cryptek let out a low drawl as it raised it's staff, slashing into Henry's chest, but this only increased Henry's ire. His saw blades, splitting the staff in two along with it's welder.


"OOOOH YEAH!"




Immortals laying down gauss from above.




 The Overlord charged Canoness Pramixa, she raised her sword to prepare for the strike letting the Emperor guide her blade. With an overhand swing, the Overlord slashed at her face, leaving a gash across her eye. With a great cry, she toppled to the ground, her Sisters were around the Overlord, attempting to avenge their fallen commander.



Both sides, were desperate for a respite, and as soon as their Blackstone was secured, each side retreated into the wasteland, vowing to fight again.

The Battle Sister Squad charged the Overlord, only dealing a wound to it. I think the Overlord took out two more sisters from that squad. Should have marked them to survive inside, oh well. It was a close game, I believe the score was 40-30 for the Sisters of Battle. I didn't think it would be that close, Father Henry definitely did some good heavy lifting, taking out three units. I believe Wade's Cryptek killed three units as well. Giving both units 1xp each. All other units got 1xp for being on the battlefield and we marked a unit for greatness. As I won, I picked two, Father Henry and the Repentia Squad? Not sure why I gave it to the unit that almost got wiped off the board on the first turn.... unless reinforcements are on their way? I haven't seen the bonuses for leveling up yet, maybe they can outrun laser fire.

After my first Crusade I really wanted to read the rules and figure out what's the next step for the army is. Retributor Squad for more holy flames? Repentia Squad to fill out the 4 woman squad, making them survive more? Maybe, but I will wait for the starter boxes to get the rules, which hopefully won't take took long to go up for pre-order.

Next on the Hobby Desk

I have finished up the Goliath gangers that I have been painting, I wanted to show them off with the Cawdor proxy models, but I might do a backstory post about them instead and do the same with the Cawdor when I finish them as well.

The Glottkin is also on the desk, still no paint as I am undecided on what colours to do him, I was thinking purple/blue, to contrast with the Horticulous Slimux I painted last fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment