Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wrap Up to 2020

 What can you say about 2020 that hasn't already been said? Good riddance! Hope the door hits you on the way out! 

    It hasn't all been that bad, at the start of the year Rachel and I were able to participate in the Toon Con 2020. Which now looking back at it could have easily been one of the super spreader events that started off the pandemic. Instead, it was an amazing last weekend of socializing with new passionate gamers, learning new games that were taught by dedicated ambassadors and all around enjoying the hobby that I have come to enjoy. I really liked the live auction, hopefully an online auction happens in 2021?

    Another positive outcome of Toon Con, is that Tim invited me into the Wrath & Glory campaign that has been running with a bunch of his friends that are now spread out across Canada (oh and the USA). This has been transforming into a RPG variety night on Saturdays. It's always a fun time and good for a laugh. 

    Roll 20 has been a great addition to the social distance tool box, I have also been DMing 5th Edition's Dragon Heist  for a group of my high school friends. Nobody wanted to start in the summer when people can have fun outside and socialize with mosquitoes, eww, who does that these days?? We started late November and had 3 sessions so far. My friend Jared had to suggest a name change to one of the guilds they were chancing around as both had Z names. The Zanathar guild are now the Apple Dumpling guild and they no longer have eye tattoos (to represent their beholder leader), they have apple tattoos. This also shows how high ranked they are, you better watch out for those Ambrosia guild members that have little apple slice tears!

    The idea of supporting local business (more so now then before) has started to become more important as supply chains from other countries are strained. I wanted to support my local sculptors, creators and game designers right here in my backyard. Lucky for me Must Contain Minis already had the same idea and compiled a nice list of Canadian companies that have a wide range of miniatures, STL designs, terrain, etc. It might not be something for a GW games but there is a lot of nice work getting done on niche miniatures, like mounties. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but plan to make an order in the future.

Painting wise, I have finished off my crusade portion of Sisters of Battle as well as the Skitarii, but what is finished? I have a few more additions, Mr. Cawl, Ironstrider, Dunecrawler to name a few. I mean are armies ever really finished? God I hope that's all!

Slaves to Darkness is close to 1k, but I did say I would finish off the Battleforce box from last Christmas? Two Christmas ago!? Ugh! Okay, so I have a Chaos Warshrine as well as a Chaos Sorceress on my desk, I just need to take some pictures and make it blog official. With those two that would take my current painted total to 920, I was going to paint up a Darkfire Daemonrift to get to 1k. That said, I could ally in 200 points of Khorne Daemons that I painted this year too, so I did get more then 1k finished this year.

Next on the Hobby Desk

I'll be taking a hard look at 2021 and seeing what will be a feasible goal for my hobby moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment