Sunday, February 14, 2021

Terrain and Rangers (companions)

     Already half way through February, where does the time go? For a birthday present to myself, I took holidays for the coldest week in February. *Knock on wood* The plan for this week was to get a lot of painting done and reading for the graphic novel book club I am part of. In reality, it was an excuse to not have to leave the house and relax. 

    And that was mission accomplished, had a relaxing week, painted some fantasy terrain as well as models. Besides driving Rachel to work and back, I didn't really leave the house besides doing a boost for one of my friends. Am I ready to go back to work tomorrow? aww man, it's tomorrow?! Ugh! That's alright, the key to a good week is to have a good routine on Sunday, warm bath, Cobra Kai, read before bed, and be glad that it's not -45°C for the week to come!

    Most of the terrain I have in my collection is 40k, with the exception of the Corpsewrack Mausoleum, I don't have much in the form of plastic fantasy kits. I ordered some MDF off of amazon a week ago, not paying attention to the thickness before purchasing it. The MDF was to be used as a base for the metal Colossal Skeleton from reaper miniatures. Once it showed up it, was way to thin to support the heavy metal colossal. With several sheets of the MDF kicking around, this would be perfect for the rivers. They turned out alright, but there was a lot of curling from the PVA glue. Using more MDF on the bottom helped to straighten it out. 

Modular River, curves and forks to come

    Rachel made a comment that the small island in the middle of the river looked like a large piece of poop, wanting to save face I told her that there actually was a giant upstream that was relieving himself. It's not happy little mistakes, it's world building! I do tend to agree as I don't think I cut the insulation form down enough, and it was dark brown at the time. 

    Each scenario in Rangers of Shadowdeep provides you with miniatures list for the adventure. The first one requires 6+ zombies, 3+ Giant Rats, 6+ Giant Spiders, and 3+ Survivors. Scouring my Castle Ravenloft Board Game I was able to find 3 Giant Spiders, 3 Zombies and 3 swarms of rats which is close enough. Undead Encounters comes with 7 zombies and oh hey! a skeleton rat maybe it will be one of the giant rats (if I can find them)

Two companions and one survivor

All Reaper Miniatures, I left the companions off bases as I would like to find some lipped bases for the PCs as that's what I used for my Frostgrave Wizards. I really enjoy painting up metal character models, quick to paint and they look great afterwards. The crossbowman has been kicking around as a metal thug for my D&D sessions for sometime, glad he finally will be on the table. As for the Ranger, you know, the leader of this intrepid band of heroes, she is a witch hunter from hasselfree miniatures. Like normal Jon fashion, I put the cart before the horse.


The wolves will be used for the second adventure.

3 wolves from Ravenloft
3 Wolves from Ravenloft


    Four zombies finished, the two flanking ones are from the cultist set. The kit gives you an excess of bits, proving an abundance of variety for all your misguided sects. These two must of went a bit too deep into the forbidden magic.



Scatter terrain and 3D printed ruined house

Stand off in the tavern

"You shall not pass, unless you are 19"

Rachel and I also played another round of Root: The Underground Expansion. This time I was the Underground Duchy and Rachel had the Marquise de Cat. I felt like I was playing keep up most of the game. In true Rachel fashion, the dice didn't like her, rolling double zeros on attacks that should have been a sure thing, twice! I finished the game with 30 to 17, at the mid point of the game I started  cutting hard into Rachel's resources, making it extremely hard to come back from. Root is much quicker to play now that we had it on the table a few times. 


Next on the Hobby Desk

After playing Warhammer Underworlds this past week, it's gotten me excited to finish off the Dread Padgeant. Next weekend is also the release of all the new Slaanesh models and battletome. Debating if I NEED to get the battletome right now,  would be nice to see the new rules and lore but that all could wait for when I am actually playing AOS.







No comments:

Post a Comment