Saturday, May 22, 2021

May Update

     With the newborn, my gosh, she is a month and a half now!? I haven't been doing a whole heck of a lot of my hobbies. Mostly coming home from work, wear the baby for awhile. Watch an episode or two of "The Expanse" then go for a walk with the sleeping beandle. She has moved out..... of her parents room and into her own room. They grow up so fast! Now to get her to drop a feed at night.

    As much as everyone would love for me to prattle on about parenting, this in a war gaming blog. Where is the excitement about the new edition of Age of Sigmar? Or what was my favourite models of Warhammer Fest at the beginning of the month? Yes and no, with the population getting vaccinated, I am hopeful that we will be getting closer to getting miniatures on the table. I haven't played a game of Sigmar in sometime, so it doesn't matter to me at the moment. I am excited to see what the new starter boxes will contain. Of course, the sweet Sigmarites from Warhammer Fest will be in the box, but what of this unknown enemy in Ghurr? 

    Quickly checking out the unsolved rumours to find what looks to be a beastly mount?



       Will we see more "taur" like creatures like Lauka Vai and Kragnos? There are also some primitive clubs and spears that seem to be hinting at some new goblin models. The new edition is less then 2 weeks away, whatever it is, the miniatures will be what I'll be looking forward to seeing, not so much the rules. At least, until I have time to play again. 

Update as I take too long to post: With GW posting more and more rumour pictures of beasts as we lead up to the new edition, I am PRETTY sure we are getting some goblins riding some sort of beasts in the starter box.

    One of my goals throughout the pandemic is to support local business, or Canadian businesses. (or at least try to.) One company I supported was Cardboard Dungeon Games, a hobby store that sells gaming mats, Green Stuff rollers and more. They also have created two rule books for skirmish games, The Cariverse, a post-apocalyptic game that has survivors searching for resources as they dodge the jaws of hungry dinosaurs. And PrimEVO, which I picked up, a caveman survival game, will you lead your tribe on a spiritual path or forge a path forward with tools and weapons to fend off rival tribes. 

    Reading through the rules, PrimEVO looks like it can go wrong very quickly for your tribe, from environmental hazards, like freezing to death if you don't have clothes or the deadliest foe, time, seriously, negatives penalties start to affect your tribe as soon as they turn 25! PrimEVO also has solo rules, which is always nice to start playing the game. I bought the book to use the cavemen/woman that I painted up earlier in the pandemic last year. Now to build some huts and paint some prehistoric animals.

    So like I was saying, I WAS trying to support locally, but then I fell of the bus a bit and got it in my head that I could run an easy quick rule set at Prairie expo or even for my Little Brother or some of the younger kids that are friends of the family. Wouldn't it be great to have a day of skirmish games maybe in the garage or outside now that it's nice? Song of Blades and Heroes popped into my head as a really good rule system that could be easily ran for young, old, mutants.. anyone that wants to play! Lulu.com does runs of print on demand of a bunch of independent authors.

 
Print on Demand from Lulu.com

    Well, if you are shipping and printing off one book, you might as well get two books from Genesha games! These showed up this passed Friday, got some reading ahead of me now so stopping buy so many books!!


These most certainly are Dwarves


        Last but not least, I traded some Primaris Space Marines that I probably won't have gotten to anyways, for some old dwarves! 14 exactly double Snow White's as Rachel pointed out, but unlike her's these are all BASHful.... or Cleaveful depending on what they are wielding. Hope to paint these up for Song of Blades and Heroes!

Next on the Hobby Desk

    I do have some models painted, just need to get some nice looking pictures and varnish them before posting them up on the blog. Most of my free time is at night, which doesn't give me the best lighting for the minis. Should be able to do it next week if I am not lazy.

    

5 comments:

  1. Song of Blades and Heroes (and fear and faith - and all of those Ganesha Games, really) are super fun - for very small scale actions - it kind of starts to break down with larger numbers of troops... I was just the other day looking at an after action report of a game of... the Napoleonic one...? and though - damn, I haven't played any of those in AGES and spent the morning looking over forces and trying to come up with some quick simple games we could play.

    Excited to see what you come up with for the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song of Drums and Shakos... but they were using it for the Jacobite rising - wild scotsmen in kilts ambushing British and murdering them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I got a little distracted and also started thinking about games I could put together with stuff I already have painted for One Hour Wargames (by Neil Thomas), any of Dan Mercy's games (but mostly was thinking about Dragon Rampant) and even Future War Commander!?

    I should just never go in the Game Room...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The game room sounds perfect for brainstorming ideas! Gotta write them down for the summer or whenever stuff gets more normal. Song of Blades and Heroes has rules for later multiplayer games, still having two forces but splitting them up into "command units". That would be perfect for a convention. For a minute, I was thinking I could make these evil dwarves, or under a shaman's spell. I then looked at a bunch of LotR Haradrim warriors that I got from someone off loading their models. Some need new weapons but lots of options there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran a game of SoBH at ToonCon years ago. It was a four player game - there was a nest full of dragon eggs in the centre and all four groups were trying to grab and run off with the most eggs before the dragon returned... It was super fun. I probably have a game report of it deep in the bowels of my blog...

    ReplyDelete