Wednesday, January 9, 2019

2019 Hobby Resolution

            Looking back at 2018, I didn't get many of the items on my to do list done. Mostly because I was distracted with other newer and shinier things (curse you Kill Team!) The only thing I managed to do was assemble my Malifaux crew and play more games. At the start of the year, I was in a skirmish group, which helped move my painting along. Every game you played, you would get more points to spend on units, meaning more units to assemble and paint.

        But I did get a fair bit of painting done. This year I started adding bases to my units making them feel more immersive on the tabletop.

Completed Painting List

Nurglings (3)
Saurus Guard (8)
Clan Pestilan Start Collecting Box
Putrid Blightkings (5)
Tau Ethereal
Plaguebearers (10)
Myrmourn Banshees (4)
Skitarii Rangers/ Vanguard (5 and 5)
Harlequin (6)
Malign Sorcery Box (Only Prismatic Palisade left)
Custom Feculent Gnarlmaw (2)
Nightvault Warbands
Sepulchral Guard
Owlbear
Space Hulk Genestealers

       I started to work on my Space Marines in Space Hulk, cutting up the bases to use the Necromunda bases. Then don't convert very easily. Once Christmas hit though, my girlfriend bought me Blackstone Fortress. Let's just say it moved Space Hulk off the table for a bit.

2019 Hobby Resolution

New year's resolutions are better if they are compass goals, they are something you are interested in learning about, wanting to try, or would better yourself in someway, but it's more about the journey and the people you meet with similar passions that make it worth while. Without further ado, here is my list.

- Try Malifaux - I have the minis, might as well give it a go.
- Paint up Blackstone Fortress - excited to get this game on the table and introduce some of my friends that don't play much tabletop games. The minis are really nice too.
- Play Test of Honour - A samurai skirmish game? Count me in! I have been looking at Mutant Chronicles - Mishma for awhile now, but figured it would be just another game to add to my ever growing pile. When my girlfriend and I were in Calgary, we went to Sentry Box and they had almost any game you could think of! We both picked up a box to play against each other. Might grab the starter box later this year too.
- Play more buy less - Last year I was a bit aimless with my purchasing, figuring I would eventually make this unit into a kill team or use that in D&D. It felt like I didn't appreciate what I already had (pile of shame pictures to follow later this month.) before moving to the next big purchase. With that said, I have the battleforce box of Slaves of Darkness and some Vostroyan Firstborn coming in. I have always wanted a small group of Firstborn, and with kill team, that's all I need! There is always one (or two) more things on the way, such is the hobby.
- Post more often on blog - If I have more games set up, I should have more interesting items to post on the blog. Win/ win right? Last year I didn't really have a goal with the blog, just a place to throw up some pictures, but I want to make it into a journal, with updates to projects and to help keep the motivation high.

Games workshop just posted some amazing miniatures. I guess getting the Ambull and Skitarii Kill Team box won't hurt right?

Next time on Jon's Hobby Desk

I'll be working diligently on Blackstone Fortress till my Vostroyans show up. Once my hobby room is a bit more organized, I'll show you my grey tide that has gotten a bit mountainous.



2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Looking forward to following all your hobby shenanigans throughout the year - whether they follow any sort of resolutions or new distractions that steer you off in entirely new directions!

    Ronin - from Osprey games - is a really fun Samurai skirmish game. I played a lot of it a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out, very interested in having models for multiple games.

      Delete