Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Slaves to Darkness Progress #2

Finally done! I finished up 20 Chaos Marauders! I was thinking of using Bloodreivers for a proxy, but I did a trade with my friend Mike for a box of these guys.
Wait?! That's not a marauder!

That's right! I used Garrek's Reavers (not Gerrak though, he might get turned into some type of Lord down the line.) 

Chaos Marauders only come in 16, so once I actually decided to make the marauders have a mark of Khorne instead of Slaanesh, I painted up 4 of the Reavers to fill in the rest. I know people seem to be running marauders in groups of 40, so I might make my next batch Slaanesh.

I did give them capes to fit in with the rest of them, no shields though.

I like to go out to thrift stores, checking out the toy sections for potential Gasland cars, or picking up some VHS tapes or video games. This time I saw some older Ipad cases and an idea struck me.
Guess one side will be magnetic

My very un-photogenic helper



Taddah! Two dice trays!


The green one I used the old carpenter's adage of measure once and cut once. I took a bit more time on the red one to make sure it fit a bit better. I glue gunned the sides, mostly because the Ipad case has a hard plastic lip that might've made it a bit hard to make the sides flatten.

Coming Soon!

I was getting excited about entering the Painting competition that was going to be held at Prairie Expo in May, but due to the social lock down. It too, has been cancelled. After the marauders I think I need a bit of a pallet cleanser. Before minivember I had started painting my Mice & Mystics figures, so I think I'll finish those off.

4 comments:

  1. Nice!

    I picked up the Wrath & Rapture box, thinking with daemons I could use them in 40K, but also have an army I could use in Age of Sigmar - or at least War Cry... I even bought the Warcry cards for the Hedonites of Slaanesh... and then came to my senses. I need to focus! Not play MORE games!? Too many toys to paint for all the forces I already have.

    That being said... I AM still going to put together a Daemon force for 40K, and it WILL be playable as an AoS/WarCry force... should anyone ever show up and say, "Hey, let's play this!"

    I just need to NOT get sucked into buying a pile of these Salves to Darkness Marauders!! (It's so hard - because they are putting gout so many cool minis!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (The Unmade look rad)

    (not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband... not going to buy Unmade Warband...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha that's basically how I felt about the new cultists too. Still looking at the the Splintered Fang and Iron Golems as they make the most sense rules wise, with the SF dealing out Mortal wounds on 6s and Iron Golems being good at sitting on objectives. I bought that horde of Daemons in February to make use for kill team or War Cry, I just bought the Khorne daemons war cry cards so they might be next to paint.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I have NO IDEA what the Unmade do in the game. My decisions on which army/force to build have never been based on what's good in the game... It's always what LOOKS cool and/or has the most interesting fluff... (not that I'm saying that's the "proper way to do things... it's just what I happen to do). This is probably why I'm so TERRIBLE in leagues and tournaments and any sort of competitive play where I bring X points and opponent brings X points... And I end up getting drawn to games like BSF and Hellboy (which are, for the most part, co-operative) or coming up with very narrative-based/semi-co-op scenarios in games like Necromunda and Kill Team and such... Even our 40K and Apocalypse games - when played with just the forces within our household - are always interesting games. Anytime some one from without brings their army... it's boring and I feel like I've lost before the game even started and it wasn't for narrative reasons... (like a desperate last stand, or whatever...).

      Delete